Saturday, November 19, 2005

Why do I read the Bible?

Why do I read the Bible?

To know God?

To find useful principles, morals, applications for my life?

To be smarter than my Christian friends, and win arguments over theology?

To know what to do with my kids?

Do I read it out of sheer joy? Does knowing God' word give me joy? Do I have to come away with three steps to be implemented into my life, or can I leave a morning Bible reading with just knowing that it has changed me in some way that I may not understand right now.

The thing is, even if it were not true, it would still be a great book. I think those that do not follow Christ need to see us excited about the Bible like we are excited about a U2 album, or a new Tom Clancy novel, a Tom Hanks movie. Do we say, "Oh, yeah, and I love the part where God . . . "

My brother-in-law, Brett, became a Christ Follower about four years ago. And when he did, he read the entire Bible in four months. I've never read the Bible from beginning to end like that. But I have read entire books in one sitting and there is a pacing and a story that you can see that isn't evident when you simply read a chapter or a verse or ten verses from 10 different books of the Bible.

I've undertaken, several times, to read the Bible in a year. I've never done so. But I have a good understanding of Genesis, Exodus, and somewhat of a grasp of Leviticus and Numbers, and about four chapters of Deuteronomy.

Now they have two Bibles on the market. One is called The Bible in 90 Days. The other is the 24 hour bible. I might be able to do one of those.

No comments: