Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Sick kid

Caleb is/was sick. I'm a hypochondriac when it comes to my kids, and today he ran a fever of 104. So I took him in to see the doctor. Dr. Crow and her nurse "Ms. Brenda" as Caleb calls her, are really two of the very best people on this planet. They never make me feel like I am one of these irrational, paranoid moms even though they have both ample reason and opportunity.

Caleb had laid around the house for most of the day looking like a grey discarded dust rag, which is very much out of character for him. Usually, even during "nap" time it takes all the self discipline his little four year old body can muster to stay on his bed. But today he took a long nap. He rarely sleeps in the afternoon anymore. After he said, "Mom, will you pray for me, so I will get better?" I prayed and then immediately called the doctor.

So at 2:52 we loaded up and headed to the Doctor. On the way there he seemed to perk up. He began to say things like, "Wow mom, that building is really cool! Mom, do you think it is cool? Can Spiderman climb that building? Mom? Mom! Mom!?" I wasn't really listening to what he was saying. I was monitoring the tone of his voice, listening for that pitiful, sad timbre I'd heard for most of the morning.

"Mom? Do you think I can have some ice cream?"

It was gone.

Here I am bringing in another well kid for a sick visit. Again.

Again, we'd stand in the waiting room and I'd try to determine whether my sick child should be on the "well" side of the fish tank with the healthy, bubbly, non-sick kids or the "ill" side of the fish tank with the kid that has an oozing, contagious looking rash and watery eyes.

Luckily, we didn't have to wait long. I told you these women are great!

So there we were in the "weighing room" Caleb is haggling with the nurse over how many inches he is , a point of much concern for him, and taking them up on offers of candy.

This is not a sick kid.

But I'm glad we went. Dr. Crow assured me his height and weight are normal. He doesn't have strep. He isn't anemic. His white blood cell count is normal. Caleb is recovering from a finger prick and a flu shot, and I feel much better.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think it's better to take them in and have them checked then to sit at home wondering and worrying and possibly making them worse.

What a great mom you are! And now you know all of those other things that the doctor told you.

I would've done the same thing.

Leslie said...

Thanks, I agree (about taking him in). I can't stand the not knowing, it drives me crazy!