Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Finding Church

One of the things I've been doing lately while waiting for the spackling to dry in the nail holes, and when I probably should be doing other things is scouting out churches.

I come from a very good church, so I have high expectations. But in reflecting on all of this I've decided that I'm not sure how to go about examining the criteria. And as I've thought, "I want a church that does . . . " I've become aware that what I want isn't the issue. A pastor friend of mine says that most all church members join your church as a consumer. A pastor is responsible for turning church consumers into church contributors.

I don't want to be a consumer.

Plus there is a sense of urgency. Our time in Australia is relatively short, we don't want to waste it (which is probably how I should think about life in general . . . but that is another matter). So here are some questions I'm reflecting on and praying about:

  • What does God want us to do during this time?
  • What beliefs does the church absolutely need to adhere to. What beliefs can we "let slide" so to speak.
  • What is God doing in His church--the universal church? (I guess, in making a global move, I've begun to think more globally.)
  • Where can we best use our talents, skills, etc.
  • What can we learn from this new church? What can we take with us back to America?
  • How can this church assist us in reaching those who don't know Christ?
  • What would the perfect church look like to me? To Eric? What of those characteristics do we really want? (I hesitate in asking this question because sometimes I think God can place us in situations where we don't get the "church of our dreams", but it still might be the Church God intends we have.)

Anyway, gotta run.

No comments: