Thursday, October 06, 2005

Top Sentences

I'm not a big note taker, but sometimes when I talk to someone, I take away a sentence or two and those words have a tremendous or at least a long lasting implication upon my life. For example, my fifth grade teacher, Mr. Ward once asked us, "What is going on in your life that is so important that you can't stop your car and let someone cross the street in front of you?" I can't remember the context of the sentence. Obviously no one in the class drove cars, at least not often, hopefully not alone. But the sentence has stuck with me and everytime I am in a parking lot and someone is set to cross in front of me I remember what he said and usually I stop. When I speed by someone because I'm in a hurry, I feel a pang of guilt--my arrogance has allowed me to think that my life is more important than theirs.

No comments: